The Bronx District Attorney is seeking an experienced attorney (10+ years) with outstanding management skills and expertise in criminal law to lead the Strategic Enforcement and Intergovernmental Relations Division. The mission of the Strategic Enforcement and Intergovernmental Relations Division is to collaborate with the NYPD, community groups and law enforcement partners to identify crime drivers; identify patterns and trends of crime; gather and sort intelligence, to enhance prosecutorial outcomes and target priority offenders through the application and implementation of intelligence-driven prosecution. The Division is also tasked with exploring alternative sentences for defendants that include treatment opportunities. These alternatives would work to help the defendants not reoffend and ultimately benefit the community at large. The Division is comprised of the Crime Strategies and Case Enhancement Unit, the Computer Forensics Laboratory, DNA Prosecution Unit, the Video Unit and the Alternatives to Incarceration Program.
The Crime Strategies and Case Enhancement Unit provide technical and intelligence support for all Divisions by developing or assisting investigations. The Crime Strategies and Case Enhancement Unit have built an all-purpose arrest alert which contains gathered intelligence from various sources in law enforcement. The Crime Strategies and Case Enhancement Unit structures detailed bail applications for recidivists and high priority cases. Further, the Crime Strategies and Case Enhancement Unit provides legal support to Assistant District Attorneys regarding crime analysis, Digital Forensic Examiners to testify in court, and makes available the tools and programs used in their analyses.
The Computer Forensics Laboratory is BXDA’s “one-stop shop” for digital evidence seized by BXDA or the NYPD at arrest or pursuant to search warrant, i.e., phones, “traditional” computers, and any other device capable of storing electronic information. The mission of this unit is to perform forensic examinations, and provide legal and technical assistance for all Assistant District Attorneys and Divisions regarding any kind of electronic evidence. The Computer Forensics Laboratory also provides supports drafting appropriate search warrants and orders that follow the fast-changing laws in digital evidence.
The DNA Prosecution Unit supports the forensic investigation and litigation that has now become critical to the prosecution of sex crimes, and many violent crimes, gun cases and property crimes. This unit also plays an essential role in numerous conviction integrity reviews. The Director conducts investigations, prosecutes cases, and provides continuous office-wide training regarding DNA science, courtroom presentations, discovery, and the admission of DNA evidence. This unit participates in state-wide committees on standards and protocols, as well as with the NYPD and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
The Video Unit records homicide, police-involved shooting and serious felony crime scenes. The unit responds to precincts to record homicide suspects’ statements, and also staffs the Video Statement room to record defendants’ statements on other felonies and some misdemeanors as arrests are screened in the Complaint Room. The unit collects video surveillance at crime scenes, and duplicates, edits and prepares content for ADAs to use during grand jury presentations and trial.
The Alternatives to Incarceration Program’s mission is to assess cases and defendants and where appropriate structure alternative sentencing options that will benefit the defendant. The sentencing alternatives may provide drug and mental health treatment opportunities for the individual. Treatment is governed by need and not the strength of the case. The Alternative to Incarceration Program collaborates with a number of community based treatment providers and city-wide groups that include, Treatment Accountability for Safer Communities, (TASC), Bronx Community Solutions, (BCS) and Fortune Society. The Program staff oversees the defendant’s cases until completion of sentencing requirements.
The Chief of the Strategic Enforcement and Intergovernmental Relations Division serves on the District Attorney’s Executive Staff. The ideal candidate must be a person of vision who is seeking a challenge, has experience in all of the aforementioned areas, and is sensitive to the unique needs and dynamics associated with these types of challenging cases.
Specific duties will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Utilize technology to enhance, document, archive, and analyze crime data and evidence from numerous sources, including social media, for use in targeted prosecutions.
- Collaborate with other Division heads.
- Maintain regular communication between the District Attorney’s Office and other law enforcement agencies.
- Participate in meetings between the District Attorney’s Office and other law enforcement agencies around issues pertaining to the planning and implementation of crime reduction strategies.
- the implementation of a Computer Forensics Laboratory designed for the forensic analyses of digital evidence to be used in investigations and prosecutions.
- Manage the Strategic Enforcement Division’s forensic units, including DNA Prosecutions and Computer Forensics.
- Report on outcomes that result from forensic analyses.
- Communicate analytic results to audiences with varying degrees of forensic and/ or technological expertise.
- Collaborate and partner with community based groups, City wide agencies, treatment service providers in providing alternatives to incarceration options and reviewing progress of individual defendants.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE/ QUALIFICATIONS:
- A Juris Doctorate degree
- 10+ years of forensic law enforcement or felony jury trial experience (experience in DNA and /or Computer Forensics preferred).
- 10 + years of management experience.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Adept in navigating technology and internet-based resources.
- Excellent presentation and organizational skills.
To apply you must visit the BXDA Office website (www.bronxda.nyc.gov) and click on Career Opportunities
The Office of the Bronx District Attorney is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Diversity and Inclusion.