ASSISTANT DISTRICT ATTORNEY
DEPUTY BUREAU CHIEF OF APPEALS
RICHMOND COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY
The men and women of the Richmond County District Attorney’s office work each day in partnership with Law Enforcement and the people of Staten Island to pursue justice for victims of crime, to prevent crime in all its forms, and to promote the safety and well-being of all citizens of our Borough.
The Richmond County District Attorney’s Office is seeking a full-time admitted Assistant District Attorney (ADA) to serve as the Deputy Bureau Chief in the Appeals Bureau. The Appeals Bureau ensures that properly-obtained convictions are upheld and that no defect in the trial-level proceedings unduly affects either the public or the accused. Under the supervision of the Chief of Appeals, The Deputy Bureau Chief will be responsible for post-conviction litigation, including but not limited to:
* Assist the Bureau Chief in overseeing and managing the day-to-day operations of the Appeals Bureau;
* Assist the Bureau Chief in ensuring that the policies of the District Attorney’s (DA) are implemented;
* Provide guidance and counsel to other ADAs and Bureau Chiefs;
* Assist the Chief of Appeals with the assignments and review of the office’s appellate work and the supervision of its appellate lawyers;
* Direct appeals;
* Post-conviction motions for vacatur or resentencing;
* Federal petitions for writs of habeas corpus relief;
* Other motion practice in the appellate division and court of appeals.
1. New York Bar admission
2. Must be a New York State resident
* 10 – 20 years of supervisory experience in post-conviction
* Experience with analyzing and implementing legislative changes
* Significant prior appellate experience i.e. research, drafting, filing and arguing of complex and high-profile appellate cases
* Strong analytical, organizational, written and oral communication skills
CIVIL SERVICE TITLE: Assistant District Attorney
SALARY RANGE: $110,000 – $140,000
Commensurate with experience; full NYC benefits package
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 7, 2019, or until filled
TO APPLY: ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED THROUGH THE NYC JOBS WEBSITE
City Employees – Click here and log in to ESS.
Non-City Employees – Go to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/
* Search for job ID number: 416024
* Click on the job business title: Assistant District Attorney
* Click on “Apply Now” at the bottom of the posting
A writing sample with your cover letter is required.
Only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
The candidate selected for this position must be a resident of the City of New York or become a
resident within 90 days of appointment.
THE RICHMOND COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND A
COPY OF THE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROGRAMS IS AVAILABLE IN THE HUMAN CAPITAL DIVISION.
THE DEPARTMENT MAKES AVAILABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR DISABLED APPLICANTS